Mommy Already!



Children’s day somehow takes me back to the very touching, heart warming memories of wide smiles and celebration with a giant cold samosa we got served at school. Yupp, that was number one on my list. Children’s day and a free samosa!
Stranded on the bridge of late 20s and approaching 30s, I realised bleh... No one’s even bothered to wish me this year. I think that’s because I may look like a mother of one already. And truth be told, my series of mischief are not reciprocal to age! So hey, I am proud to share those ‘happy children’s day to the child within you’ forwards.

Although some things are bound to happen and that motherhood and kids (hopefully just one) will become a part of me someday, I think I am not far away from there. Being a parent to a fur baby is just as much satisfying and pleasant a feeling you live each day. I can instantly run the past in my mind and see my dad holding an almost miniature doggie in his hands, as he welcomed me on the train station after my mountaineering camp. He was so tiny, I was scared to touch him at first but it took us only minutes to start jumping together.

If not a perfect cook, I could at least be punctual in his food time slots. With the growing months and years, little mister Bruno had to be served food in several different ways and he also has a well maintained file of medical records including diet plans. I saw him learning to walk, taught him to scale and descend stairs and even familiarised him with words and tricks! Tricks were never for him though, for the soft balls I threw far for him to fetch never came back to me in one piece. But I recorded the time he learnt to bark like an adult dog and even began to recognise the family members by names.

On one of the days when he sits still

We have not always lain on the ground and fought a friendly duel. I have screamedmy lungs out when he tore my essay literally and when he brutally assaulted my soft toys and pulled out the cotton like a crazy maniac. I have been strict with food manners and set the law for ‘no begging when a human is eating rule.’ So also, constructive scolding and punishment has been my parenting mantra which has worked wonderfully for years. There are times when he still does forbidden things like walk over my laptop keyboard, steal food when left unattended and sometimes run on the streets if let loose by mistake. Like a true mother, my angry stares have then shaken him to reality which is followed by endless maska tricks which he excels at.
I now understand how to trick him with medicines and act like it’s a candy! I now know how to be friendly yet firm on ground rules and I have halfway mastered the skill of getting him dressed without letting him run away.. J

Of course, parenting is different ball game but looking after a pet, sharing concern, affection and love, taking responsibility to nurture a living organism is a complete life skill that my little boy has instilled in me.

Hopefully, if not a great momma, I will be a good one!


Happy Children’s Day to us all mid-life crisis stricken public!

Comments

Popular Posts