Bullet For My Valentine




It is Valentine’s Day and I set my eyes on the gift kept so affectionately on my dressing table waiting for me to acknowledge its presence. It has been lying there since two days mocking me, scaring me, sticking out its metaphorical fingers and laughing at me, staring at me each time I go closer to the mirror, each time I pass by it flaps its colourful wings of shimmery hues. It is like that night when a giant ugly moth got home and stayed in one corner occasionally fluttering its nasty wings, taking my pounding heart closer to an attack.

It has a big black box full of shimmery cubes fitted in neat compartments. It even has concealers, mascara, eye shadow and primers! In a nutshell, it’s a make-up palette they say. The problem is that the box has all these colourful… let’s call them things and a quick checklist of new vocabulary of which I haven’t got the slightest clue. Now the checklist stands independent of arrows or diagrams and hence, I don’t know who is who.

The funny and incidentally ironic thing is, I couldn’t even get to open the various hidden compartments the picture on the box depicts. Patience-testing!

So collecting all my patience I tried hard to pull and push open corners of this package, like a skilful surgeon performing an operation. At one point of time, I almost dropped the fragile box of beauty and (due to my good karma in the past life) successfully caught hold of it within seconds.

Looks like a rover landed on Mars!

Only after managing to open all of its palettes that are suspended, fall open, slide through and emerge from hidden corners I realised it had these instruments like a small forked brush (which I never knew existed), some heart shaped puffy cushion-like sponge attached to tiny sticks resembling ear buds we used to dig out wax… but only then it clicked me to google some videos for the ultimate make-up look for dummies.

The thing is I have lived all my life with minimal make-up and even on my wedding day I carried on with my stubborn charade. I also partly believed I suck at applying make-up and wearing it all day just makes me feel conscious, as if I were employed to wear a giant Shrek costume and shake hands and clicks pictures with children at Universal Studios.

So anyway, this make-up palette happened just when I was beginning to drop hints before the V-day, when I was lurking in the shadows, popping out from behind the curtains, tiptoeing my way and talking about things I loved, when I was watching him from the corner of my eye and giving my best shot at wardrobe-is-hungry rant and even talking ZARA to everyone around!

Sigh!

But just as I learnt to cook, I learnt to drive, I even learnt to handle guns, I learnt to perform yoga, I learnt the principles and applications of quantum mechanics and also the black hole theory for a good reason, I learnt a foreign language and I learnt to play a musical instrument, maybe… just maybe I could get myself to wear some colours and contour, conceal, merge and have the winged eyeliner in place for once!

If not, there is one person you can try experimenting on!! 

Wink*



Comments

Popular Posts