So long… 2017

When I sit today to think back of the year that has been, I cannot help but smile at how mature I gave grown, how responsible and caring I have become towards my home, chores and routine, how punctuality has become a part of me and finally how perfectly fit I have become all due to my rigorous workout sessions.  

If you have bought every word of the tell-tale crap above, we need to catch up sooner! A galaxy away from punctuality, responsibility, orderliness and workout (what is that anyway?) I have merely trudged and slipped but fortunately surfed through the months till haha…today. With not many changes from the past, apart from the addition of worrisome inches of fat on my waist, I am pretty much the same person from a year ago. Since Christmas has passed us by and New Year’s Eve is just a blink-of-an –eye away, I sit down to frame some resolutions.

First and foremost: Why am I doing this?



I always, always maintained this freakish checklist of resolutions since I was a child and believed in writing down things I wanted. Turning some pages of history I realised ooh la laa.. I did achieve all those pointers I wrote about. Now that I just bought an iphone without having to sell my kidneys, I can think of unmaterialistic pleasures of life. So here goes a small but crucial thought for the approaching year…

Since the time I can remember, I have these blurry memories of people commenting on how I looked, how I dressed or how long or short hair suited me the best. Something as minute as a pimple would not bother me till someone pointed it out and ruined my day. The pleasures of meeting loved ones after a long time would be shattered when instead of warm hugs they prioritised a judgement of how the UV rays had played with my skin. They yakked about how dark I looked or how (by God’s grace) my complexion had improved. They spoke about how thin waists got richer and better husbands and how cooking skills saved the parents from earning a bad name.

Although I believe I am blessed with the gift of sarcasm and use it plentiful with warm smiles, I did a little workout with my mind. I realised that if a friend walked up to me with a Mount Everest sized pimple, chances are she uses a mirror. She is aware of its presence. I suggest we have her favourite ice cream with sinful amount of chocolate sauce that day for no reason. Anything to make us giggle and wink. Likewise, accepting the privacy and control of one’s body might be helpful in not commenting on a person’s physique. If they are fat, it’s not like they are in denial and think of themselves as Olive from Popeye, the Sailor. Chances are, they are working way harder than you can imagine to reduce wee tiny bits of their fat.

                                       A few of my resolutions..! :P

Coming back to my un-materialistic resolution of 2018, apart from craving for MacBook Air, I do want to love people for the goodness they have. Hence, I pledge to avoid talking negatively about a person’s physical appearance. Our concerns are real but our words may hurt, scar and dent lives. 

Anyway, I have friends who feed me more chocolate when I complain of calories, loved ones who call me chimp when I complain of my weird nose and folks who offer me parlour vouchers when I crib over my greasy hair!


So Loooong 2017! 


Comments

Popular Posts