Shouldn’t we chicks have all the fun?!


It is a long weekend again because I am buried in a huge blankey, wearing a sweater, an extremely gross looking hankey around somewhere (hehe) and a half read novel, which is going unread even today. My nose is a busy river, my throat is causing me to cough like a chain smoker and the excruciating headache is driving me crazy. That’s reason enough to cease work and stay home. Sick. The meds make my vision blurry, the chocked up nose make my mouth breath. In short, I can’t sleep, I can’t work.

Chick flicks! Chick flicks! Chick flicks! My mind drifts away from sickening suicidal thoughts and springs to action like the sanskari bahu on the TV uttering crucial ‘kya? kya? kya?’ three times.

So my archaeological excavation of lappy folders finally leads me to this mid-life crisis chick flick movie collection. Haven’t opened this in a while. If you have been in my place, you pretty much know the pain of picking up the right movie for the occasion. They are all so good, like an extra- large thin- crust pizza with unnecessary amount of cheese only for you to finish.

I don’t have too many flicks but a few treasured ones include Kate and Leopold, 10 things I Hate About You, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Under the Tuscan Sun, Roman Holiday, Letters to Juliet, Chocolat, Julie and Julia, and some real good Irani, Afghani flicks.

The Patience Stone

These are my doses which no doc prescribes! And my tickets to feel refreshed and cheerful again. What fun to live through these women, the lives we haven’t and won’t get to live otherwise. I love how Kate (in Kate and Leopold) has lived all her life in the same city and yet never been to the other side of the town only to travel back in time! Catherine (from Ten Things...) is stubborn and difficult and falls for the bag guy (the extremely hot Heath Ledger), a heartbroken lady on vacation ends up buying a villa in Tuscany in Under the Tuscan Sun and so on.

Letters to Juliet
They go on solo vacations, they write handwritten letters, they create unplanned blogs, they dress for themselves, they are fierce like the howling wind and tender as the morning grass. They are strong but sometimes indecisive, they roam in European villages and even find ways to survive in war torn countries.

Thanks to these movies I know there is a certain charm in each girl and I even smile in their little achievements and clean my running nosie simultaneously. Their lives might not be the most inspiring, but are full of blunders and wins which ultimately are a part of me somewhere. I can’t take away everything I watch, but can dance to some new tunes with a smile in my heart.

Time for some “Chocolat!”





Comments

Popular Posts