Hail Ye Board Gamers!


Do you ever spend some quality time with loved ones over a game of uno? Do you curse the katappa who stabbed you with a draw- four at the last minute? Do you not ploy a draw-two chain against your best friend, who is holding the last card to victory?

If you have answered a ‘no’ to the above questions, you are playing it wrong my friend. The kingdom of board games thrives on the lives of other players. Cheat with puppy eyes, apologise with a devil smirk after a power card and nail the art of eye contact to take the about-to-win player down! (Here goes some Mogambo laugh)

If nothing works, just remind everyone how miniscule their existence is and what a busy person you are, so you must leave! (Some more Mogambo laugh)

Welcome to the mighty world of board games! There is always room for one last game before you head to your dreary schedule, isn’t it? Although some board games these days cost an arm and a leg (yes, really!), there are some which instantly take us back to childhood. Do you remember the game of Life or Battleship or Cluedo? The list is endless. Playing them has always aided my lungs with a breath of fresh air and renewed enthusiasm. It has sharpened my presence of mind too. Innumerable times I have hid my card under the carpet, played multiple cards pretending them to be just one, screamed to get attention and confused my clueless-happy simpleton parents and even blamed my pet for misplacing my card. Occasionally I did get almost disowned by my folks but eventually puppy eyes helped.


The real challenge is not to win but to stop other cheaters from winning. We always know by the look on their face, the schemes that they will use and you are unaware of! Remember when the competitor is too nice, there is often a farce. Keep up and do some research and development to come up with new methodologies. Boast about a new rule which is not followed anywhere on the planet or show suspicion on your opponent’s last move. Most of all, do it with extreme confidence.  

Since I am all grown up and recently plucked out a spike of white hair from my scalp, here is my advice. Bring back those fun games and get the family together on the coffee table. Sit down on the floor, get in your pyjamas, surround yourself with some comfy pillows and spread out the game to connect with family and friends.

You may miss out recording the hilarious victory dance moves our otherwise silent dads can perform. But you will get to live one of the best moments right in your living room.




Comments

Popular Posts